Friday 23 May 2014

L I F E S T Y L E | My First Year At University.


So after finally being  at the end of my first year at University, it has been a whirlwind experience to say the least. After looking back myself, I thought I would share some of my last year with you guys, it might help if anyone who is going away to University this summer and doesn't know what to expect. Or if you just want to be mosey like me haha. 

Here are some photographs of my first year, (sorry they're mostly iPhone photos and all nights out haha) :









Overall I would say I have had an absolutely amazing year, there have been ups and downs in between but it is definitely a year I won't forget. The nights out which seem to happen waaay too often, as you can see from the photos, meeting new people, experiencing new things, living on your own, it's all so exciting.

This time last year when I was preparing myself for University I think I was far too naive, I thought moving away from home, starting again in a new city, fending for myself, making new friends and generally just coping with life would be an absolute doddle. I was so wrong. I realised this year I am such a home bird and to be perfectly honest, I have really struggled on my own. (I made it though) 

Although I wouldn't change the last year, I have moved quite far away from home and I think I really didn't think this through when applying nearly 2 years ago. 

Making new friends I actually found okay, as I chose to go into Halls of Residence for my first year, making friends was so m uch easier. My flat mates this year have been absolutely amazing and I wouldn't have changed them for the world. Myself and the two girls are living together again next year. If you were however, to have difficulty settling in and getting on with your flat mates, there will be a 'house manager' who will be there to help you overcome anything you need help with.

Speaking of Halls of Residence, I think this is what I was most apprehensive about. Living with strangers in a place that is known for being an absolute mess. It really isn't as bad as you think. When you get in there and make it your own place, it becomes so much fun. When you've been out for a drink and come back you don't have to think 'shhh, can't wake the parents up' it's great hahaa. 

Living in a new city can be quite tricky, especially for me as seen as I live in such a small city where everyone seems to know everyone and moving to such a huge city like Newcastle. It was pretty scary. However, eventually you get used to it and it becomes such an adventure. I was just pleased to have a MAC store in the town centre and a Topshop that's bigger than my bedroom haha.

While this post has been completely rambly, and possibly pointless, I hope it helps some of those of you who are apprehensive about starting University. While you may be scared, it is so worth it and you will genuinely have the best year of your life. Just make sure you are open to change and saying 'yes' to opportunities that arise, within reason of course hahaa.

Any university experiences you can share?



No comments:

Post a Comment